Land-based casinos in New Zealand give rise to the opinion that some of the best casino gaming can be found here. They provide a perfect balance of some of the most popular casino games along with great entertainment for the whole family. If you are in and around New Zealand, you can find some of the top gambling establishments in your region that rival the best in the world. Read through our review of land-based casinos and see where you will play next. Every casino has its drawcard, catering to different markets and players. You will also find a areas in New Zealand where online casino gaming is legal.
Land Based Casino Definition Explained
Land-based casinos are the premise that house the different casino games. Also known as brick-and-mortar casinos, they represent the physical floor of different slots and table games. The typically provide services beyond gambling. The establishment will feature entertainment arenas, bars and restaurant as well as hotels. The location of the casinos is strategically chosen, prone to being positioned in scenic and easily accessible areas. Almost every city in New Zealand has a casino that attracts both locals as well as tourists.
Best Brick-and-Mortar Casinos in New Zealand
Here’s a list of casino gambling establishments that you can find in New Zealand:
|Casino||Games||Restaurants & Bars||Contact|
||Pokies machines 1600
100 Table Games
|Andy’s Burgers & Bar
|Victoria and Federal Street, Auckland, New Zealand. Call: 0800 759 2489|
||86 Pokies machines
12 Tables Games
|Wild Thyme Restaurant||16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown, New Zealand. Call: +64 03 441 0400|
|Chi Kitchen Restaurant
Monza Sports Bar
|30 Victoria Street, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand. Call: +64 3 365 9999|
||300 Slots Machines
23 Table Games
Zone Sports Bar
|346 Victoria Street, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand. Call: +64 7 834 4900|
7 table games
|Ports O’Call Bar
Boldini Cafe & Wine Bar
Bar and Café
|118 High Street, Dunedin, Otago 9016, New Zealand. Call: 0800 477 4545|
|SkyCity Wharf Casino
||61 Pokies Gaming Machines
6 Table Games
|88 Beach Street, Steamer Wharf, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand. Call:+64 3 441 1495|
History of Casinos in New Zealand
While the first-ever land-based casino recorded in history was located in Italy in 1638, the first gambling establishment in New Zealand only came in 1994. Casino Christchurch is the oldest casino, with over 500 pokie machines offered to Kiwis at the time and has since increased the games on the casino floor.
Online Casino vs Land-Based Casinos
On the occasion where it is not possible for Kiwi players to travel to an NZ land-based casino, most gamblers turn to the online gaming arena. Punters that want to experience casino gaming from the comfort of their own home can enjoy the best online casino NZ has to offer. Bettors can create an account and gamble for real money through their computer or their mobile device from anywhere, at any time.
There are plenty of online pokies casino games from the most popular casino game developers. Gamers can enjoy internet casino games for free via the casino’s free play mode. Alternatively, gamblers can play for real money jackpot prizes.
While the land-based casino is static, the online casino offers flexibility. Internet games avail two main conveniences in online gaming platforms for the player to choose from:
- The instant play/flash version grants players entry into the world wide web where they can choose from thousands of games using their internet browser.
- The download option allows Kiwi players to have instant access of hundreds of games by downloading the casino software app onto their smartphone or desktop PC.
Differences between Land-based Casinos & Online Casinos
Over and above the number of games that players can find and the different platforms, the major difference between land-based and online casinos lies in these key factors:
- Internet gambling sites offer new players casino welcome bonuses when they sign up. They also extend existing players promotional bonuses which brick-and-mortar casinos do but cannot replicate the generosity.
- Land-based casinos have a social aspect of casino gaming. Players can talk to other players as well as the interaction with the casino dealer. The closest online gaming has come to adding social aspect was the introduction of live dealer games.
- The speed of play at web-based casinos is much faster than at land-based casinos. Traditional casinos have to clear the table and sometimes request assistance from cameras when something goes wrong.
Head over to any of our recommended NZ casino websites to see for yourself.
Related Gambling Guides
- NZ Sports Betting
- Betting Tips
- Best Payout Casinos
- Casino Reviews
- Casino Games
- Mobile Casinos
- Casino Bonuses
- Banking Options